To manage a classroom in the absence of the regular teacher and deliver lesson presentations in a way that is age appropriate for the class.
To support the delivery of Monticello Montessori’s written, taught, tested and reported curriculum and contribute to maximizing student achievement.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reports to the office upon arrival and arrives in the classroom on schedule to greet students and remain in the assigned classroom so that students are effectively supervised.
- Maintains, as fully as possible, the established routines and procedures of the school and classroom to which he or she is assigned. Requests information from the office on school rules, procedures, emergency drills, etc.
- Delivers the lesson presentations in a way that is age appropriate for the class and meets the individual needs, interests, and ability levels of all pupils.
- Budgets class time effectively.
- Encourages students to strive to meet their highest potential.
- Maintains discipline and classroom control. Notifies the administrator of and issues that may arise.
- Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Follows all policies, rules and procedures in effect for regular teachers.
- Reports all student injuries, accidents, illnesses and discipline problems to the appropriate authority as soon as reasonably possible.
- Collects and places all student work in an appropriate location for the classroom teacher. Maintains records of students’ progress as instructed.
- Returns keys, instructional materials and equipment at the end of the assignment.
- Maintains accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, MMCS policy and administrative regulation.
- Seeks assistance as needed.
- Seeks out opportunities for professional growth.
- Maintains high standards of ethical behavior and confidentiality.
- Has regular and predictable attendance.
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
EDUCATION: High school diploma or GED. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
WORK EXPERIENCE: Previous experience preferred, but not mandatory.
TYPE OF SKILL AND/OR REQUIRED LICENSING/CERTIFICATION: Ability to work with students and follow teacher lesson plans.
LEADERSHIP RESPONSIBILITIES: There are no leadership responsibilities associated with this position.
WORK COMPLEXITY/INDEPENDENT JUDGMENT: Work and tasks are often straightforward, routine, structured and guided by established policies and procedures. Little, if any, independent judgment is required, outside of making basic choices in the selection and application of established methods. The job receives frequent, ongoing supervision.
BUDGET AUTHORITY: No budget development activity is required.
PROBLEM SOLVING: Decisions are made on routine matters affecting few individuals and usually within the confines of the job’s own department. Specific job activities and results are typically reviewed closely. There are limited requirements for developing new ideas or changes in methods, procedures or services.
IMPACT OF DECISIONS: Follows rules and procedures. Decisions can have minimal or no impact to MMCS. Errors can be readily detected, usually by the employee, and, if made, would result in minor expense for correction.
COMMUNICATION/INTERACTIONS: Basic Communications required such as receiving basic instructions. Interactions are predominately with building staff and students.
STAFF AND STUDENT RELATIONSHIPS: Follows through with inquiries, requests and complaints as directed by the Administrator. Forwards difficult and non- routine inquiries or requests to appropriate level for resolution.
WORKING/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Work may be performed in a typical interior and exterior (student supervisory duties) work environment. This position requires the ability to carry and/or lift less than 20 pounds. This position has been given an overall physical classification of light duty.
EVALUATIONS: Performance of this position will be evaluated annually by the Administrator in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on the evaluation of classified personnel.